“Putting Out the Fire”: Organization-saving advice that will keep a bad situation from getting worse.
Somewhere, somehow, sometime… there will be a tragic turn in your organization. It might be directly related to the work you do — it might be on the fringes. But HOW and WHEN you deal with the media onslaught will determine the long-term posture of your organization. What you do in the first few minutes after a “disaster” may not change any minds that day, or even the next week… but it can improve your long-term posture and community standing.
- Who are “The Media”, and what do they do?
- The different types of news media, and their different needs.
- Guidelines on how to deal with reporters and photographers, so you don’t make a bad situation worse.
- How to take control of an interview, and avoid intimidation.
- How to draft and communicate a “key message.”
- How to appear more confident (and credible) on camera.
** This seminar makes for a great introduction to the material presented in the “Modern Media Seminar.”